Monday, September 13, 2010

How I got HulaBuns as a Nickname


This is the story of how I got "Hulabuns" as a nickname...

Binderclips and I were at a party, oh I don't know, maybe 8 or so years ago with some of our closest friends. We had been hanging out for quite some time just chatting when everyone started to get hungry. The men of the group decided to cook up some food. Hot dogs and hamburgers.

Wait, let's take a couple of steps back...did I mention that our friends are hilarious? Well, they are. Whether they are chasing bats around their apartments, driving by Binderclips and I and exclaiming "I have a plan!" then driving off quickly, "being bears", threatening to punch someone, wanting to do a "hand sprain"(aka handspring), or singing Flight of the Conchords songs (binary solo anyone?) or trying to work the word "egg rolls" into Christmas songs at the family Christmas party - they are always a good time (I'll have to tell these stories at some point).  One of them (let's call him "Kirk"), in particular, is responsible for my nickname.

Anyways, as they cooked up hot dogs and hamburgers people started getting rambunctious and standing around everywhere (right in the way of the kitchen). In an attempt to organize things slightly Kirk decided to take tabs on who wanted what. He started asking people if they wanted hamburgers or hotdogs and bunning* them up as necessary and handing them out to people. Well, this caused even more craziness in the kitchen area. After people started getting their food they would go into the small kitchen to dress their hotdogs and hamburgers with ketchup, mustard, etc.

Soon, the buns had been moved and Kirk was looking for them. However, I appeared out of the crowd of people and was standing in front of Kirk (not noticing that he was looking for them), ready to give him my order.

Kirk: He says "Who the...buns?" (as he looks around for the buns), but I hear "HulaBuns"

Me: What did you call me?

Kirk: Looks at me disapprovingly with a 'Really?' type of expression on his face

Me: Did you just call me HulaBuns?

Kirk: "Ummmm....." (he seems to consider explaining it all to me, but then decides against it), he responds with a simple "No.  But I'm going to start. From here on out you are HulaBuns."

So, there you go! That's how I got "HulaBuns" as a nickname.  Not the most exciting story, but that's it (or at least that's my recollection of events).

If you haven't read How my husband got an office supply nickname I would highly recommend reading it when you get the opportunity. I promise it's more entertaining than how I got my nickname! :)

*Bunning is defined as putting a hamburger or hotdog in a bun

Later gators!

9 comments:

  1. Aw, I thought maybe you knew how to hula. Darn! I was looking forward to seeing that! Oh well. At least the mystery is explained!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, no, I do not know how to hula. Well, I do know how to use a hula hoop, but I don't think that's what you're talking about.

    I did notice that there's a Hula class offered by me and I was interested in signing up for it but I forgot to.... Thanks for reminding me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun post. Love your quiet humor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The funniest moments come from mishearing people.
    Hulabuns - great nickname!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kittie: Thank you! However, I'm sure Binderclips would agree that I am anything but quiet for the most part. LOL

    Cathy: I agree and boy, do we have a lot of situations like this happen around our parts. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I "mis-hear" all the time, Hulabuns.

    :-)

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pearl: Thanks for making me feel normal and for stopping by!

    Missed Periods: It's not all it's cracked up to be, believe me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Hulabuns! So, your friends just cook dogs and burgers willy-nilly and then bun 'em up to people as they announce what they want? I've never done it that way. I'm the one with the pad & paper before cooking begins so I make the exact amount...plus one, of course.

    Great story!

    ReplyDelete