Saturday, July 24, 2010

Surgical Intervention

Hi Everyone! I made it through my surgery and I'm officially back in business! Wooo Hooo!

First, I want to say thank you to everyone who sent me well wishes! Thank you for keeping me in your thoughts. I received some very nice cards and messages from everyone. Also, I received this wonderful edible arrangement from some of my favorite people and it was delicious! Thank you again everyone!! Also, a special thanks to my In-Laws for coming in and helping out during my recovery. I'm certain I wouldn't have recovered as quickly had you not been around!

I'm sure you all are dying to hear how the surgery went (well, even if you're not, I'm going to tell you anyways) short, it went well. However, I'm not going to give you the short version, so here I go with the long version (prepare yourselves folks):

The day of my surgery (or surgical intervention, since that's what my doctor likes to call it) Binderclips and I showed up at the hospital promptly at 7:00AM as we were instructed. Prior to going I had to remove some piercings (which always causes anxiety for both Binderclips and I) - I have 4 piercings all together, 2 normal ear piercings, 1 in my tragus (another part of the ear), and my belly button. The tragus piercing is the hardest because the earring has got a little, teeny, tiny ball that joins the 2 sides of the hoop together. It's not the taking it out that causes anxiety as much as it is the knowing we will have to put it back in eventually.

Anyways, we showed up and promptly they called me back to get disrobed and into the wonderful hospital gown they gave me. I also took the liberty to put on the hair cover-net-type-thingy...hey, she gave it to me, so I thought I needed to put in on when I put the gown on. Needless to say, I looked ridiculous. However, I wasn't really thinking about that at all at the time. Instead I was just nervous, I guess surgery does that to a person. ;)

After I was changed the nurse put in my IV, which apparently required beating the top of my hand to a bloody pulp (ok, so it wasn't bloody, but it felt like it should've been). As she did this I thought 'I would hate to see what she does the patients with bad veins, geesh!'

Soon Binderclips was able to come in and when they brought him back he started laughing at me immediately. Then made a comment about me being a pirate (which, he also posted on my facebook wall, thanks again for that, oh hubby of mine). I realized soon that it was the hair cover-net-type-thingy that set him off on the pirate talk. Although, instead of removing it I embraced it...hey, what else should I have done?

Then the anesthesiologist came in. I told him I get very nauseous from the general anesthesia and that when I had the surgery done before they gave me a scope patch (a patch used to treat motion sickness, they give it to folks who go on cruises and stuff like that). He responded by telling me that the anesthesia used 10 years ago made people more nauseous than the stuff now-a-days.... 'Uhh, I had the surgery done in 2007 before, jackhole' I thought, then told him "last time I had the surgery was 3 years ago". He said "Oh, ok" then wrote something down and was gone before I knew it.

Soon after Binderclips was sent out and I was headed down for surgery. Last time I had this surgery done they had already put the scope patch on me (it's a patch that goes behind your ear). 'Maybe they will put it in when I get closer to the surgery room, perhaps?' I thought. Now, I should tell you that when I had this surgery done before I was knocked out prior to going into the surgery room. So, when we headed downstairs I thought they were going to put me into a holding room, give me the anesthesia to knock me out, then wheel me (unsuspectingly) into the surgery room. No dice folks. Instead, they wheeled me directly into the surgical room, then asked me to move myself onto the surgery table!!! This does not help one's nerves, I will tell you that.

After that, I remember thinking 'why are there soo many people in here?' and 'are ALL of these people going to see me naked?!?! WHAT. ON. EARTH.' Then a women behind me gently took my IV and said "this will just help you relax" as she injected something into my IV. The next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery, feeling terrible....

To be continued


  1. Ok, I didn't know that there was such thing as a scope patch, or I would have gotten one! I was SO SICK from the anesthesia this time. I hope you got one--I'm on pins and needles here!

  2. I will post the rest soon I promise and hopefully it won't disappoint. I'm so glad you are feeling better after your surgery! :)